Intermediate Silkscreen: Multi-Color Registration
Learn how to print dynamic multi-color images!
- Saturdays, April 18 and 25, 10 - 2pm
If you took our Intro to Silkscreen course and are looking forward to learning how to create more complex screen-printed projects, then this is the class for you! Students will learn how to develop and register dynamic multi-color images on paper with the help of Adobe Photoshop. No prior experience with this software required.
Students will first learn how to manipulate imagery using both simple and
complex image editing tools and filters. Once we finish experimenting with the
software, the class will shift focus towards learning how to color separate your
images to prepare for printing. We will use a variety of different techniques to
accomplish this, including CMYK color separation for those working with
photographic imagery. A quick refresher on screen-coating and exposure will
also be offered for those who have been away from the process for an extended
period of time. So have no fear if it has been a while. We will get you back into
the swing of things and with some new tricks!
Instructor: John Paul McCaughey
Prerequisites: Intro Silkscreen at AS220 Industries. Please note: Participants must attend ALL TWO silkscreen classes and pass a separately scheduled emulsion certification in order to use the silkscreen studio at AS220 Industries as a Member.
Supplies and Resouces:
- Paperworks - Excellent source for paper / Pawtucket at 544 West Ave
- Jerry's Art-A-Rama - paper also suitable for letterpress printing / Providence at 653 North Main Street
- Blick Art Materials - Silkscreen inks and drawing tools / Providence at 200 Wickenden Street
- RISD 3D Store - Paper for letterpress printing / Providence at 30 North Main Street
- Pocono Screens - Online vendor, wood and aluminum screens
- Victory Factory - Online vendor, wood and aluminum screens
What to Bring to Class:
- Imagery to work from Illustrations or computer files on a flash drive or in your email. (Keep it simple at first: 2 colors, the text should be at least 8pt, avoid very thin line work.)
- Acetate or frosted mylar for drawing designs (You may also print out or photocopy images onto acetate using our laser printer; see Supplies we provide below)
- Opaque drawing tools for film (Oil-based paint marker, poster paint marker, fast-drying ink for film; we recommend "Permapaque")
- Paper is not included, so please bring some with you to each class.(Any type of paper will work, Bristol pads, printmaking papers)
- Silkscreen screens (We discourage using screens smaller than 16” x 20”, especially small wooden screens from DIY kits.)
- Sketching/drawing tools
- Utility knife
- Acrylic or textile printing ink, any color; Speedball brand recommended for beginners
- Masking tape and/or clear shipping tape (Scotch brand; anything else might damage screens!)
MATERIALS AND SUPPLIES WE PROVIDE:
- A service to transfer images onto A4 8.27" x 11.7" acetate
- Shop Screens
- Spatulas, spoons, ink mixing implements
- Scoop coaters
- Stencil remover
- Rags, sponges, brushes, etc.
- Registration material
Supplies available for purchase in the Shop:
- A4 8.27" x 11.7" acetate, $1 each
LOCATION: The AS220 Industries is located in the Mercantile building at 131 Washington Street Providence, Rhode Island, 02903 on the 1st floor. The entrance is located at the back of the building on Lucie Way; use the entrance under the AS220 Printshop sign, head upstairs and follow the signs. Ring the bell if the doors aren't open (though they should be).
PARKING: There are 2 and 3 hour metered on-street parking spaces available throughout downtown, and parking is free on Sundays. We are also located near a parking garage with entry on Washington Street, look for the big blue parking sign.
IMPORTANT WORKSHOP POLICIES: Please be as respectful of the short time you and the other participants have to learn and be as on time as possible. If you arrive more than half an hour late, you may be asked to not participate. Please plan ahead as it always takes time to find parking.
REFUND POLICY: To cancel your reservation must email firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance, or you risk losing your payment.
CANCELLATION OF WORKSHOPS: If the minimum enrollment is not met, or in the case of instructor illness, we may opt to cancel workshops or reschedule. If this is the case, you may choose to push your enrollment to a future workshop session or request a full refund. We will attempt to give as much notice as possible, thank you for your understanding.
QUESTIONS?: Contact Industries Staff at email@example.com or by phone at (401) 831-9327 ext 202.
We Also Recommend