Intro to Silkscreen: Weeknight
Learn how to make beautiful prints on paper, wood, and fabric and get certified to use the screenprinting studio in this intro workshop.
- Wednesdays, June 12 + 19, 6-9pm
- Wednesday, July 10 +17, 6-9pm
Screenprinting is a versatile process that can be used to transfer graphic images to paper, wood, and fabric. It is ideal for making prints, posters, coasters, greeting cards, stationery, and more. Your instructor will walk you through the process and help you gain the skills you need to confidently plan and execute your next paper-based project.
This course provides a comprehensive introduction to screen printing in two sessions. (This class is also offered as a one-day intensive.) Participants will design, print, and exchange a two-color print on paper with a maximum dimension of 8" x 10".
Class 1: The first class will be dedicated to making your screens. This class is will help you understand the how to plan and design your image area. You’ll learn analog and digital methods of making stencils and films.
Class 2: Participants spend the second class learning proper printing techniques and registration, and troubleshooting. The workshop will end with a print exchange.
*This class is an introduction to the process, not an opportunity to complete a specific project. Your imagery and inspiration should be simple and geared towards learning the process and techniques. The instructor is there to impart technical knowledge to help you understand the process enough to start your own project.
Supplies and Resouces:
- Paperworks - Excellent source for paper / Pawtucket at 544 West Ave
- Jerry's Art-A-Rama - paper also suitable for letterpress printing / Providence at 653 North Main Street
- Blick Art Materials - Silkscreen inks and drawing tools / Providence at 200 Wickenden Street
- RISD 3D Store - Paper for letterpress printing / Providence at 30 North Main Street
- Pocono Screens - Online vendor, wood and aluminum screens
- Victory Factory - Online vendor, wood and aluminum screens
What to Bring to Class:
- Imagery to work from Illustrations or computer files on a flash drive or in your email. (Keep it simple at first: 2 colors, the text should be at least 8pt, avoid very thin line work.)
- Acetate or frosted mylar for drawing designs (You may also print out or photocopy images onto acetate using our laser printer; see Supplies we provide below)
- Opaque drawing tools for film (Oil-based paint marker, poster paint marker, fast drying ink for film; we recommend "Permapaque")
- Paper is not included, so please bring some with you to each class.(Any type of paper will work, Bristol pads, printmaking papers)
- Silkscreen screens (We discourage using screens smaller than 16” x 20”, especially small wooden screens from DIY kits.)
- Sketching / drawing tools
- Utility knife
- Acrylic or textile printing ink, any color; Speedball brand recommended for beginners
- Masking tape and/or clear shipping tape (Scotch brand; anything else might damage screens!)
MATERIALS AND SUPPLIES WE PROVIDE:
- A service to transfer images onto A4 8.27" x 11.7" acetate
- Shop Screens
- Spatulas, spoons, ink mixing implements
- Scoop coaters
- Stencil remover
- Rags, sponges, brushes, etc.
- Registration material
Supplies available for purchase in the Shop:
- A4 8.27" x 11.7" acetate, $1 each
Prerequisites: None / Participants must attend ALL TWO silkscreen classes and pass Emulsion certification in order to be certified to use the silkscreen studio at AS220 Industries.
Location and Parking
The AS220 Printshop is located in the Mercantile building at 131 Washington Street Providence, Rhode Island, on the 1st and 2nd floors. The shop's entrance is located at the back of the building on Lucie Way (Martha Street on GPS and computers); ring the bell by the double doors. There is 2 hour metered on-street parking available, bring your quarters. We are also located near a parking garage with entry on Washington Street, look for the big blue parking sign.
Important Class Policies
Please be respectful of the short time you and the other participants have to learn, and arrive on time. If you are more than half an hour late, we will not be able to teach you what you signed up for. Plan ahead, it always takes time to find on-street parking.
To cancel your reservation, you must email Industries@as220.org at least two weeks in advance, or risk losing your payment.
CANCELLATION OF CLASSES
If minimum number is not met in class enrollment, the teacher may opt to cancel class. If this is the case, we will give a full refund of class payment and first choice to enroll in future classes. We will attempt to give as much notice as possible.
We Also Recommend