Beginner Silkscreen: Weekend Sessions
A comprehensive introduction to screen printing covering stencil design, troubleshooting, registration, proper print procedure, and multi-colored
- Saturday and Sunday, January 15th and 16th
Screenprinting is a versatile process that can be used to transfer graphic images to paper, wood, and fabric. It is ideal for making prints, posters, coasters, greeting cards, stationery, and more. Your instructor will walk you through the process and help you gain the skills you need to confidently plan and execute your next project. This will include making your design into an acetate, coating and exposing a screen, and the printing process.
Instructor: Tito Guerrero (he/him)
Tito is a multimedia artist ranging in fashion design, silkscreen, creative direction and graphic design. Born and raised in Providence, RI, he has been involved with AS220 for over 7 years. Tito owns a brand named “World of Celestians.” The name celestian/celestial relates to the sky or sky being. Tito has a strong passion for planetary space and their brand highlights futuristic, spiritual messaging and post apocalyptic wear.
What to Bring to Class:
- Imagery to work from Illustrations or computer files on a flash drive or in your email. (Keep it simple at first: 2 colors, the text should be at least 8pt, avoid very thin line work.)
- Opaque drawing tools for film (Oil-based paint marker, poster paint marker, fast-drying ink for film; we recommend "Permapaque")
- Paper is not included, so please bring some with you to each class. (Any type of paper will work, Bristol pads, printmaking papers)
- Sketching/drawing tools
- Masking tape and/or clear shipping tape (Scotch brand; anything else might damage screens!)
- Optional: Silkscreen screens (We discourage using screens smaller than 16” x 20”, especially small wooden screens from DIY kits.)
- Optional: Acetate or frosted mylar for drawing designs. (You may also print out or photocopy images onto acetate using our laser printer; see Supplies we provide below)
- Optional: Acrylic or textile printing ink, any color; Speedball brand recommended for beginners (We also have a small selection of community and workshop inks you can use if you are not able to bring your own)
Materials and Supplies We Provide:
- Class Silkscreen screens: We have screens available to be used for this class
- Acrylic/textile printing ink: We have a random assortment of community inks available for class use.
- A service to transfer images onto A4 8.27" x 11.7" acetate
- Shop Screens
- Spatulas, spoons, ink mixing implements
- Scoop coaters
- Stencil remover
- Rags, sponges, brushes, etc.
- Registration material
- Utility/X-acto knives
Supplies available for purchase in the Shop:
- A4 8.27" x 11.7" acetate, $1 each
- Masking and Sealing Tape, $4 per roll
Other Supply Resources:
Paperworks - Excellent source for paper / Pawtucket at 544 West Ave
Jerry's Art-A-Rama - paper also suitable for letterpress printing / Providence at 653 North Main Street
Blick Art Materials - Silkscreen inks and drawing tools / Providence at 200 Wickenden Street
RISD Store - Paper for letterpress printing / Providence at 30 North Main Street
Pocono Screens - Online vendor, wood and aluminum screens
Victory Factory - Online vendor, wood and aluminum screens
Scholarships & Discounts: AS220 Industries offers needs-based scholarships as well as discounted spots for BIPoC, Emerging Members, and Industries Monthly Members. We believe that everyone deserves access to arts education, and focus on centering marginalized communities and those who have had barriers accessing these resources. If you'd like to apply for a scholarship or use a discount, find more details HERE.
Location: The AS220 Industries is located at the Mercantile at 131 Washington Street Providence, Rhode Island on the 1st floor. The entrance is located at the back of the building on Lucie Way; use the entrance under the AS220 Printshop sign, head upstairs and follow the signs. Ring the bell if the doors aren't open (though they should be).
Parking: There is a 2-hour metered on-street parking available, and parking is free on Sundays. We are also located near a parking garage with entry on Washington Street, look for the big blue parking sign.
Important Workshop Policies. Please be as respectful of the short time you and the other participants have to learn and be as on time as possible. If you arrive more than half an hour late, we will not be able to teach you. Please plan ahead, it always takes time to find on-street parking.
Refund Policy: To cancel your reservation must email email@example.com at least two weeks in advance, or risk losing your payment.
Cancellation of workshops. If the minimum number is not met in workshop enrollment, the teacher may opt to cancel the workshop. If this is the case, we will give a full refund of workshop payment and first choice to enroll in future workshops. We will attempt to give as much notice as possible, thank you for your understanding.
We Also Recommend